Mar 9, 2017 07:15:42
Opta provide the stats as the French champions find themselves on the wrong side of history after the Catalans' remarkable turnaround
Barcelona defied the odds to pull off the greatest escape in Champions League history as they beat Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 at Camp Nou to become the first side to overturn a 4-0 first-leg deficit in Europe's top-tier competition.
Barca's hopes appeared to be dashed when Edinson Cavani scored for PSG in the 62nd minute to make it 3-1 on the night and ensure the hosts needed to score another three to progress.
But, as Luis Enrique suggested was possible on Tuesday, Barca incredibly hit that target and they did so in the most dramatic of circumstances, scoring three times after the 88th minute – Neymar getting two before Sergi Roberto sealed progression five minutes into stoppage time.
Highlighting the sheer significance of the match are Opta's key stats.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) March 8, 2017
KEY OPTA STATS
– Barcelona are the first side in Champions League and European Cup history to overturn a four-goal first-leg deficit.
– Barcelona have progressed past the round of 16 in each of the last 10 seasons, the longest run in the competition's history.
– Edinson Cavani is now PSG's joint-highest scorer in the Champions League alongside Zlatan Ibrahimovic (20).
– Only three players to have played 20-plus Champions League games have scored in 50 per cent or more of their appearances; Ruud van Nistelrooy (58), Lionel Messi (51) and Cavani (50).
– Cavani has now scored in 22 different Champions League matches – the only South Americans to score in more are Kaka (23) and Messi (58).
– Messi scored his 37th Champions League goal in the knockout stages; only Cristiano Ronaldo has more (44).
– Luis Suarez has scored 65 goals in 64 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona at Camp Nou.
– Neymar has scored in three consecutive home games for Barcelona for the first time since January 2016 (four in a row).
– Since his Champions League debut on September 18 2013, no player has provided more Champions League assists than Neymar (15 – level with Ronaldo).